For the holiday weekend my boyfriend and I made our way down to sunny Florida, Fort Lauderdale to be more specific. The beautiful beaches of Fort Lauderdale are lined with palm trees and luxury hotels – so it was an easy decision in our mind to make this the place we celebrate the 4th. I have been lucky enough to visit the beautiful little town of Fort Lauderdale before, but it had been years and years ago – so I needed a little refresher myself of the area, what to do and what to see. I pulled together my list of top places to stay, eat, drink and overall what to do if you are visiting the lovely Fort Lauderdale area!
Where to Stay
- The Sonesta – I love staying at Sonestas when I get the chance. The hotel chain provides that luxury feeling we all crave when we travel, but at a budget friendly price-point. Located right across from the beach near several restaurants, bars and coffee places – the Sonesta offers gorgeous ocean views, a great pool/bar combo and beautiful guest suites.
- The W – during our stay we spent almost as much time at the W as we did at our own hotel. We absolutely loved the ocean facing deck right off the main lobby – it was a perfect place to grab nightly drinks or enjoy a morning coffee. The hotel just went through a $55 million dollar renovation and it oozes glitz and glam with each turn you make. Full of marble and gold features, this hotel truly brings the WOW factor to Fort Lauderdale.
Where to Eat
- El Taquito – so this adorable little beach front shack may not look like much from the outside but the food is to die for. Try their Mint Mojito – it is incredibly refreshing and their enchiladas were some of the best I have ever had!
- Casablanca Cafe – this beautiful beach front restaurant has its own claim to fame as it is located in the first house ever built on the beach in Fort Lauderdale! The restaurant offers a nice variety of dishes – a little something for everyone! I had the salmon and Blair had the seafood pasta, both were excellent!
- Myapapaya juicery + kitchen – I LOVE a good acai bowl – especially at the beach. Myapapaya juicery + kitchen offers a huge variety of bowls, smoothies, juices and specialty sandwiches. The perfect way to start your day!
What to Drink
- LuLu’s Bait Shack – with live music and fun drinks – Lulu’s is the perfect way to start or end your night out in Fort Lauderdale! The vibe was incredible – its the type of place that makes you happy the second you walk through their doors.
- Elbo Room – Fort Lauderdales version of a club. With large patios and open windows, the beach nightlife bar is a hot spot along A1A. With great music and strong drinks, the Elbo Room is the perfect place to dance all night long.
- Living Room at the W – I told you, we just loved the W and their Living Room bar was a huge reason why! We went on Saturday which is their 80’s night – which offered amazing throw back tunes and $8 Belvedere drinks! Plus the whole bar overlooks the beautiful Florida oceanfront.
What to Do
- The Beach – this is an obvious statement but it is an absolute must to spend some time on the beach when visiting Fort Lauderdale. The warm water is a beautiful clear blue color with soft waves, the palm trees line each entryway – it is just paradise!
- Las Olas Boulevard – totaling almost 10 blocks, Las Olas Boulevard offers restaurants, bars and boutiques galore and is a perfect way to spend a day or night!
Our time spent in Fort Lauderdale was a wonderful mix of fun and relaxing. It was the absolute perfect weekend getaway and I am already itching to go back!